A wallet completed

Ta-da!

It’s done! For a few weeks now…let’s blame February and cold weather for making me fall asleep on the couch nightly instead of recording my relative successes here. This definitely lived up to my expectation of it being a learning experience; since I was having a hard time getting myself going, I decided to just start cutting fabric instead of precisely measuring. That part actually worked out ok, but if I were to make another I would take the time to do it the “right” way.

The wallet features a magnetic snap for securing the flap:

I think it's off-centeredness adds character.
I think its off-centeredness adds character.

And of course, the many card slots, which share a wall with the zippered pouch:

IMG_4933
As much as I love the slots, the tag has to be my favorite part (thanks, husband!).

Sewing the zipper went alright, though it doesn’t move as smoothly as I’d like. I’m appreciating the roominess of the pouch; it’s a lot easier to find my change mixed in with bills than it was in the dollar-sized section of my old wallet.

Last, I’ve got an open pocket for my checkbook, coupons, and, if I’m using it as a clutch, my keys and phone:

A nice, wide section for miscellany.
A nice, wide section for miscellany.

There is a pocket in the flap, but it lost a lot of functionality when I rounded the corners. This was also my first attempt at bias tape binding. It was a bit tricky where the zippered pocket meets the main piece of the wallet; I ended up binding the edges of the pocket first and trapping the loose end under the binding as I went along the sides.

I shoved (technical term) additional interfacing into the wallet a couple times before it was closed up because I kept feeling that it needed more structure. Overall, in the future I’ll beef up the interfacing on the exterior and between the card slots. I found this post comparing different weights and examples of how to use them – I’ll definitely be referring to it on my next project!

Project tally:

  • 2 fat quarters from my stash
  • Most of 1 crib sheet, added to my pile after it ripped all the way up one corner
  • 1 7″ nylon zipper
  • 1 sewing machine needle that broke when I sewed over the metal stop of the zipper
  • Various pieces of interfacing

Thoughts for next time:

  • Rework the card slots so the openings face up – I tend to leave my wallet in my purse and just slide my cards in and out, so I’d like to make that easier. Maybe accordion sides so if I do just throw the cards back, they’ll be more secure.
  • Along those lines, make the flap smaller. Since I’ve already learned I’m not using the pocket in the flap, I can decrease it to only come an inch or two over to the front so there isn’t so much extra flopping around in my purse when I fail to snap it shut.
  • Maybe add a clip for keys and/or a wrist strap.
  • And, as mentioned above:
    • Measure more precisely
    • Be liberal with interfacing

That’s it! I’ve been getting back in the swing of sewing (and crocheting…and my mom and sister talked me into learning to knit…) so hopefully more to come soon!

2 thoughts on “A wallet completed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *