Rebinding a quilt

After my daughter Greta was born, I was really dreading going back to work. Subsequently, I didn’t start looking at daycares until I was already on maternity leave. I only ended up touring two centers and totally lucked out that the one closest to our home had an opening. They are all-around fabulous and I can’t imagine having anybody else care for my kids over the last 4+ years. One of the silly things I was attracted to when reviewing their website was that all children enrolled receive a quilt made by the ladies of the adjacent church. It just seemed like such a sweet, personal gesture. I’m not sure how my daughter’s blanket was chosen; it’s very bright and probably not what I would have picked, but she adores it.


“School blankie” has gotten a lot of love since then, and it shows. A couple of times, I’ve fixed a spot in the middle where the thread broke, exposing the batting underneath. Wonder Under kept it together for a short time, but I finally had to take it to the sewing machine and pass a zigzag stitch over the area a few times. Eventually the binding also began to give out. It frayed along the edge, and came free in a few sections where the thread broke.

Solution? Mommy/daughter date to the fabric store! With some gentle direction, Greta chose a colorful floral print that picked up several colors from her quilt. With my recently acquired bias tape maker, I turned it into far too many feet of 1/2″ double fold bias tape. Did it really need to be cut on the bias to bind a straight-edge quilt? Well no, but I was practicing. Maybe the leftovers will be used for a project more in need of the stretch.

I’m not a quilter, so I didn’t fix it the “right” way. I used Wonder Clips to hold the binding in place and then just top stitched around the whole thing. Unfortunately, this meant I missed the edge on the underside several times and had to go over a few places again.


For next time:

  • Create less bias tape – I didn’t want to run short, so I asked for too much at the cutting counter and then agreed to buy the remnant at the end of the bolt.
  • Try a zigzag stitch so there’s less of a chance of missing the bottom edge – if I’m doing it “wrong” might as well go all the way!
  • If more holes form in the middle, I’m going to try patching with the leftover floral fabric.

Noah, my not quite 2 year old, loves his quilt too. When we picked it out, the teacher offered to write his name on it with Sharpie. I declined, took it home, and appliqued his name on the back with navy rib knit fabric. Alas, I have no photos at the moment, so that’s another post for another day. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *